According to the available data, in its beginnings, the population of Alpera was not where it is located today. Around the year 1480, the inhabitants moved from San Gregorio to the current location of Alpera, giving rise to the Old Town of Alpera, located in the northern part of the town.
In the above image, you can see a set of streets of irregular formation and narrower than the rest of the town. In its area we can find resources of interest such as the Hermitage of San Roque, the Municipal Laundry, the Cave Houses, the Parish of Santa Marina and the Palace of Alpera.
A curious fact: today, Alpera has the same number of inhabitants as it did in 1880. How is this possible?
At that time, although the town of Alpera was smaller, it also took into account those people who lived in the surrounding villages, such as Las Fuentes.
The people who lived in the cave houses in the old days had no shortage of food, just like the people of the village. They were friendly, pleasant, hospitable and kept their curious home in wonderful conditions. Very clean, tidy and decorated with plants, such as geraniums, among others.
The cave houses are more than 100 years old. Many of the people who lived in them emigrated to France and Elda. An important fact is the eviction of the Cuevas, which was caused by the construction of the “cheap houses” in the locality. The people of the time moved to these new residences, leaving most of the Cave Houses uninhabited.
HERMITAGE OF SAN ROQUE
Finished its construction in the year 1771 thanks to the alms of the neighbors before the end of an “epidemic of malignant fever” after invoking San Roque, the Hermitage of San Roque constitutes one of the historical-monumental resources of Alpera.
SAN ROQUE GROUP – 36 DWELLINGS
MUNICIPAL LAUNDRY ROOM
Built at the beginning of the 20th century in the lowest part of the village to take advantage of the irrigation ditch, it has been providing service for more than 70 years.
Located to the northeast of the Parish of Santa Marina, it is a construction that dates from the XVII century approximately. “On April 14 of the year 1567, the town of Alpera gave to Mr. Don Pedro de Verastegui a series of lands of El Bosque, as well as the Pesquera de la Acequia, the Bastán del Pueblo and a lot in the Plaza de la Iglesia to build his strong house (the Palace).”